The latest version, SAFe 5, is built around the Seven Core Competencies of the Lean Enterprise that are critical to achieving and sustaining a competitive advantage in an increasingly digital age:
- Lean Agile Leadership
- Team and Technical Agility
- Agile Product Delivery
- Enterprise Solution Delivery
- Lean Portfolio Management
- Organization Agility
- Continuous Learning Culture
Product Management is responsible for defining and supporting the building of desirable, feasible, viable, and sustainable products that meet customer needs over the product-market lifecycle.
- Develop Program and support Agile Release Train
- Can be a team or a single manager
— Meet Business Goals
— Get it built
— Get if off the shelf
— Leverage support
System Architect/Engineering is responsible for defining and communicating a shared technical and architectural vision for an Agile Release Train (ART) to help ensure the system or Solution under development is fit for its intended purpose.
- Play a role to align teams in Agile Release Train to a shared technical solution
- Can be an individual or a small team
Release Train Engineer
The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a servant leader and coach for the Agile Release Train (ART).
- Facilitate the ART events and processes and assist the teams in delivering value
- Communicate with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk, and drive relentless improvement.
- In SaFe Agile Team include 5-11 individuals with various activities ( design, code, test ..) – cross-functional
- All Agile teams include 2 key roles : Product Owner and Scrum Master
- Plan together ( PI Planning)
- Demo together
- Learn Together
- Explore, Integrate, Deploy, and release Independently
Agile Teams Type
We have many team types : each team is well-defined responsibility
Software, hardware, IT, operations, and other technology-focused teams:
- Business-Focus teams
- Platform Teams
- Enabling Teams
- Execute – Daily Stand-Up
Using ScrumXP as lightweight framework. One iteration will start with Iteration Planning
Kanban is used for visualizing team progress and optimizing workflow.
Program backlog & Team Backlog
- Program mgt will build Program Backlog
- Solution mgt will come up with solution backlog (Spike)
The backlog items are managed through Program and Solution Kanban System
They will work together to prepare for each PI planning.
- Product Owner is responsible for team backlog.
- A list of want to do items, not a commitment
- Agile team will need to balance their effort in User Stories, Refactor and Maintenance
One Program Increment usually take 8 -12 weeks. The most common pattern for a PI is four development iterations.